[openstack-dev] Dynamically adding Extra Specs

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 19:21:24 UTC 2016

Apologies for the delayed responses. Comments inline.

On 01/27/2016 02:29 AM, Dhvanan Shah wrote:
> Hey Jay!
>
> Thanks for the clarification. There was another thing that I wanted to
> know, is there any provision to pass extra arguments or some extra
> specifications along with the VM request to nova. To give you some
> context, I wanted to pass a host:vm mapping to the nova scheduler for
> its host selection process, and I'm providing this mapping from outside
> of the openstack architecture.

Why do you want to do this? The scheduler is the thing that sets the
host -> vm mapping -- that's what the process of scheduling does.

 > So I need to send this information along
> with the request to the scheduler. One way of doing this was creating
> new flavors with their extra specification as different hosts, but that
> would lead to as you pointed out earlier a "flavor explosion" problem.
>
> So is there a way to pass some extra arguments or some additional
> information to nova.

Depends what exactly you are trying to pass to Nova. Could you give some
more information about your use case?

Thanks!
-jay