[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Ansible] Multi-OS Support

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 13:37:46 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

As part of the Multi-OS support work [1] we've agreed to do proof of
concept reviews for the purpose of discussing and agreeing on patterns
which we need to adopt across our whole stack.

With thanks to Michael Gugino we have a review [2] ready which implements a
pattern for one aspect of the changes we'll need to be making - catering
for different package installers. The review covers apt and yum based
installers, but makes it fairly trivial to extend support for other
installer types in the future.

As part of this initiative we now also have non-voting gate checks for
CentOS7 against all the independent roles [3].

We've already has some discussion in the review and in the community
meetings, but I'd like to extend a request to the broader community for
broader review and discussion. I expect that we'll be finalising the review
by the close of this coming week. Once that's done we'll be reaching out
for volunteers to submit reviews to implement this pattern across all the
OpenStack-Ansible roles [3].

Our next steps in this initiative is to establish patterns for the support
of multiple init systems (sysvinit vs systemd, etc), then move on to
investigate other issues of importance which have been highlighted in the
etherpad [1].

If anyone else wants to volunteer to be a part of making this happen,
please feel free to add your details to the etherpad [1] or to reply to
this email.

Thanks to everyone for your input thus far.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-ansible-multi-os-support
[2] https://review.openstack.org/274290
[3] https://github.com/openstack/?query=openstack-ansible-

--