[openstack-dev] [stable] Kilo gate doesn't like testtools 2.0.0

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Feb 6 05:29:34 UTC 2016

On 2/4/2016 11:23 PM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> Hi All,
>      Just a quick heads up that the kilo gate (and therefore anything that
> relies on kilo)[1] is a little busted.
>
> This was originally noticed in 1541879[2] and a quick cap for g-r was proposed,
> however if my analysis is correct this can't land because of 1542164[3].
>
> testtools 2.0.0 was released 2016-02-04 and has a hard requirement on on
> fixtures >=1.3.0 which isn't compatible with stable/kilo's global-requirements.
>
> We can't land an update to requirements to cap testtools as we install
> testtools (2.0.0) when we install os-testr[4].  Nothing we install from git in a
> typical devstack run requires testtools (it's only listed in
> test-requirements.txt) so we end up with 2.0.0.
>
> Then when we run services, the requirements kick in and balk because, as an
> example, keystone requires fixtures>=0.3.14,<1.3.0 and testtools requires
> fixtures>=1.3.0
>
> The way forward is land https://review.openstack.org/276580 and
> https://review.openstack.org/276275/ This will unblock the gate and buy us time
> to work out the right way to make kilo, os-testr and testtools play nice.
> There are a few options none are very nice and generate work at a time when the
> key players are travelling.
>
> Of course I could be way off base and there is a much easier option.
>
> Yours Tony.
>
> [1] liberty grenade and neutron master seems to run a bunch of *-kilo jobs
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1541879
> [3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1542164
> [4] As we're pip_install'ing it we don't massage the requirements to match g-r.
>      We could update the gate to install os-testr from git as a work around but
>      that's not what I chose to do

If os-testr is causing problems in stable/kilo it's only recently been
added [1]. That was for a devstack backport, which is arguably nice to
have but not necessary, so we could revert those if needed.

Anyway, mtreinish is traveling so the next person to probably look at
this is sdague since he's got +2 on devstack on stable and all other
stable branch stuff, like the g-r cap on testtools (which is probably
good to have regardless of what we do with os-testr in stable/kilo).

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/273192/

Matt Riedemann