[openstack-dev] [all] the trouble with names

Nick Yeates nyeates at redhat.com
Fri Feb 5 19:09:25 UTC 2016

I have the benefit here of being a beginner to openstack and having experienced AWS as a user. I think that the current "nova", "cinder" etc naming was confusing to me at first, but that it's a needed stumbling block for devs and deployers/ops to be precise.

However, for end-users, probably mostly in a GUI, you need to be smart about labels/names. Amazon currently uses a hybrid approach. They call 'compute' "ec2", but in the UI, the top dashboard explain all user-accessible services with both of the names and a short description.

Basically, I think you keep the naming as is, and focus on clarification in the UI.

- Nick Yeates