[openstack-dev] [neutron] [ipam] Migration to pluggable IPAM

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Fri Feb 5 16:58:05 UTC 2016

On 05/02/16 16:31, Pavel Bondar wrote:
> On 05.02.2016 12:28, Salvatore Orlando wrote:
>>

>> On 5 February 2016 at 04:12, Armando M. <armamig at gmail.com
>> <mailto:armamig at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On 4 February 2016 at 08:22, John Belamaric
>>     <<mailto:jbelamaric at infoblox.com>jbelamaric at infoblox.com> wrote:
>>

>>         > On Feb 4, 2016, at 11:09 AM, Carl Baldwin <carl at ecbaldwin.net <mailto:carl at ecbaldwin.net>> wrote:
>>         >
>>         > On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 7:23 AM, Pavel Bondar <pbondar at infoblox.com <mailto:pbondar at infoblox.com>> wrote:
>>         >> I am trying to bring more attention to [1] to make final decision on
>>         >> approach to use.
>>         >> There are a few point that are not 100% clear for me at this point.
>>         >>
>>         >> 1) Do we plan to switch all current clouds to pluggable ipam
>>         >> implementation in Mitaka?

I possibly shouldn't comment at all, as I don't know the history, and
wasn't around when the fundamental design decisions here were being made.

However, it seems a shame to me that this was done in a way that needs a
DB migration at all.  (And I would have thought it possible for the
default pluggable IPAM driver to use the same DB state as the
non-pluggable IPAM backend, given that it is delivering the same
semantics.)  Without that, I believe it should be a no-brainer to switch
unconditionally to the pluggable IPAM backend.

Sorry if that's unhelpful...

	Neil