[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 13:57:10 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 4:57 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> My personal take on that is that we can draw a line in the sand for what
> is acceptable as an official project in the upstream OpenStack open source
> effort. It should have a fully-functional, production-grade open source
> implementation. If you need proprietary software or a commercial entity to
> fully use the functionality of a project or getting serious about it, then
> it should not be accepted in OpenStack as an official project. It can still
> live as a non-official project and even be hosted under OpenStack
> infrastructure, but it should not be part of "OpenStack". That is how I
> would interpret "no open core" in OpenStack 2016.

Should we host projects that have no hope of becoming official projects due
to this sort of criteria?  Would we host GPL-only projects under openstack/?

> Of course, the devil is in the details, especially around what I mean by
> "fully-functional" and "production-grade". Is it just an API/stability
> thing, or does performance/scalability come into account ? There will
> always be some subjectivity there, but I think it's a good place to start.

I think defining 'fully-functional' is easy enough until you allow 'vendor
extensions' into the API.  But there is still an amount of objective
criteria to look at to make it something that a group of, say 13 judges,
might arrive at a reasonable answer.

'Production-grade' is more subjective, especially with the size of
deployment differences in 'production' for a bunch of other things.  But
again, it is one of those things that reasonably technical people will
generally arrive at a useful conclusion .  Existing components (DB, message
queues, etc) can point at known production deployments as evidence; new
components have a harder sell.

For a time many projects used SQLite as a reference implementation for
testing DB functionality, and have moved away from that (completely? I'm
not sure) as we all agree it really is not a production-grade
implementation.  That is an easy example, but as a community we have
crossed this bridge multiple times already and will be able to do it again.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com