[openstack-dev] [all] the trouble with names

Ronald Bradford me at ronaldbradford.com
Thu Feb 4 17:54:48 UTC 2016

While we all consider to look at this problem from within the perspective
of OpenStack, the consumer of OpenStack is somebody that is wanting to run
a cloud, and not develop a cloud (granted there is overlap in said
implementation).  They are also comparing clouds and features (e.g.
compute, storage), reading about the new features of cloud providers etc.
 The service catalog, the UI (i.e. names inside Horizon like Compute) need
to present generic names.

It would make it easier for consumers of API's to not need a translation
registry to know nova means compute.   This means that the translation is
internal with us developers. We should be able to live with that.

#2  IMO opinion serves best what OpenStack software is used for, and who it
is designed for.

Ronald Bradford

Web Site: http://ronaldbradford.com
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronaldbradford