[openstack-dev] [all] the trouble with names

michael mccune msm at redhat.com
Thu Feb 4 14:32:47 UTC 2016

On 02/04/2016 08:33 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hayes, Graham wrote:
>> On 04/02/2016 13:24, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Hayes, Graham's message of 2016-02-04 12:54:56 +0000:

>>> Although I realized that the projects.yaml file only includes official
>>> projects right now, which would mean new projects wouldn't have a place
>>> to register terms. Maybe that's a feature?
>>
>> That is a good point - should we be registering terms for non tent
>> projects? Or do projects get terms when they get accepted into the tent?
>
> I don't see why we would register terms for non-official projects. I
> don't see under what authority we would do that, or where it would end.
> So yes, that's a feature.

i have a question about this, as new, non-official, projects start to
spin up there will be questions about the naming conventions they will
use within the project as to headers and the like. given that the
current guidance trend in the api-wg is towards using "service type" in
these cases, how would these projects proceed?

(i'm not suggesting these projects should be registered, just curious)

> I think solution 2 is the best. To avoid too much contention, that can
> easily be delegated to the API WG, and escalated to the TC for
> resolution only in case of conflict between projects (or between a
> project and the API WG).

i'm +1 for solution 2 as well. as to the api-wg participation in the
name registration side of things , i don't have an objection but i am
very curious to hear Everett's and Chris' opinions.

regards,
mike