[openstack-dev] [Doc] Further DocImpact Changes

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Thu Feb 4 07:06:59 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

TL;DR: DocImpact is changing, again, please review 276065

Some time ago, docs implemented a blueprint[1] to modify the behaviour of the DocImpact script. The agreed change was that all projects *with the exception of the five defcore projects* would have DocImpact bugs raised in their own repo. In other words, docs were anticipating continuing to handle DocImpact bugs for Nova, Glance, Swift, Keystone, and Cinder, but no other projects. In order to make this triaging process easier, we also wanted to enforce a description when DocImpact was used in a commit message. However, upon implementing this in Nova, as a trial, we discovered that it had a non-trivial impact on processing times, and the change was reverted[2]. After some discussion, we agreed[3] to try just resetting DocImpact to the individual groups, *including* the five defcore projects. This eliminates the need the run a check on the commit message for a description, as we're moving the burden of triage away from the docs team, and into the individual project teams. One of the bene
fits of this change is that all product groups can now use DocImpact in a way that best suits their individual needs, rather than being tied to what Docs expects.

I've now gotten in-principle approval from each of the PTLs affected by this change, but wanted to ensure everyone had a chance to go over the new patch[4], and discuss these changes.

This is, as always, a reversible decision. If this solution happens to fall in a heap, I'm willing to try something different :)

1: http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/specs/mitaka/review-docimpact.html
2: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/259569/
3: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-January/083806.html
4: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/276065/