[openstack-dev] [docs][all] Software design in openstack

Nick Yeates nyeates at redhat.com
Thu Feb 4 05:18:08 UTC 2016

Josh, thanks for pointing this out and in being hospitable to an outsider.

Oslo is definitely some of what I was looking for. As you stated, the fact that there is an extensive review system with high participation, that this alone organically leads to particular trends in sw design. I will have to read more about ‘specs', as I don’t quite get what they are and how they are different from blueprints.

When I said "What encourages or describes good design in OpenStack?”, I meant, what mechanism's/qualities/artifact's/whatever create code that is well-received, well-used, efficient. effective, secure… basically: successful from a wider-ecosystem standpoint. It sounds to me like much is built into 1) the detailed system of reviews, 2) an informal hierarchy of wise technicians, and now 3) modularization efforts like this Oslo. Did I summarize this adequately?

What artifacts were you going to send me at?
I have still yet to find a good encompassing architecture diagram or white paper.

Thanks again!
-N