[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Bug 1541105 options

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Thu Feb 4 03:31:46 UTC 2016

Steve,

Comments inline

On 2/3/16, 3:08 PM, "Steve Gordon" <sgordon at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

Steve,

I hope you can forgive my directness and lack of diplomacy in this
message. :)

At least when I was heavily involved with Magnum, building atomic images
resulted in a situation in which the binaries built did not work properly.
 I begged on the irc channels for help and begged on the mailing list for
help for _ months _ on end and nobody listened.  It is almost as if nobody
is actually working on Atomic.  If there are people, they do not maintain
any kind of support footprint upstream to make Atomic a viable platform
for Magnum.

I taught Tango how to build the images, who wrote the instructions down in
the Magnum documentation.  That documentation ends up producing images
that randomly don't always work. The binaries return some weird system
call error, ebadlink I think but not sure.  Tango may remember.

Perhaps the rpm-ostree defect has been resolved now.  I have to be clear
that I was told "please wait 6 months for us to fix the build system and
bugs" while Atomic was our only distro implemented.  It was very
maddening.  I was so frustrated with Atomic, at the start of Mitaka I was
going to propose deprecating Atomic because of a complete lack of upstream
responsiveness.  I decided to let other folks make the call about what
they wanted to do with Atomic since I was myself unresponsive with the
Magnum upstream because of my full-time Kolla commitment.

I am pretty sure a bug was filed about this issue in the Red Hat bugzilla,
but I can't find it.

Personally if I was running the Atomic project, I'd containerize all of
the etcd/flannel/kubernetes and only leave docker in the base image.  Next
up I'd get the distro being produced in a CI pipeline with atleast some
basic dead chicken testing.  I am pretty sure this would fit Magnum's use
case well.  This would make interacting with the 6 month release cycle of
Fedora much more viable.  But alas I'm not running Atomic, and I don't
have the bandwidth to make a contribution here other then to say Atomic
needs more attention from it's upstream if it is to have any hope.

Warm regards,
-steve