[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Task Based Deployment Is at Least Twice Faster

Alexey Shtokolov ashtokolov at mirantis.com
Tue Feb 2 16:35:06 UTC 2016

Hi Fuelers!

As you may be aware, since [0] Fuel has implemented a new orchestration
engine [1]
We switched the deployment paradigm from role-based (aka granular) to
task-based and now Fuel can deploy all nodes simultaneously using
cross-node dependencies between deployment tasks.

This feature is experimental in Fuel 8.0 and will be enabled by default for
Fuel 9.0

Allow me to show you the results. We made some benchmarks on our bare metal
lab [2]

Case #1. 3 controllers + 7 computes w/ ceph.
Task-based deployment takes *~38* minutes vs *~1h15m* for granular (*~2*
times faster)
Here and below the deployment time is average time for 10 runs

Case #2. 3 controllers + 3 mongodb + 4 computes w/ ceph.
Task-based deployment takes *~41* minutes vs *~1h32m* for granular (*~2.24*
times faster)

Also we took measurements for Fuel CI test cases. Standard BVT (Master node
+ 3 controllers + 3 computes w/ ceph. All are in qemu VMs on one host)

Fuel CI slaves with *4 *cores *~1.1* times faster
In case of 4 cores for 7 VMs they are fighting for CPU resources and
it marginalizes
the gain of task-based deployment

Fuel CI slaves with *6* cores *~1.6* times faster

Fuel CI slaves with *12* cores *~1.7* times faster

You can see additional information and charts in the presentation [3].

[0] -
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-December/082093.html
[1] -
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/fuel-specs/specs/8.0/task-based-deployment-mvp.html
[2] -  3 x HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 (XeonE5 6 cores/64GB/SSD)  + 7 x HP
ProLiant DL320p Gen8 (XeonE3 4 cores/8-16GB/HDD)
[3] -
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1jZCFZlXHs_VhjtVYS2VuWgdxge5Q6sOMLz4bRLuw7YE

---
WBR, Alexey Shtokolov