[openstack-dev] [nova][virt] rebuild action not in support-matrix

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Feb 2 09:16:05 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 05:04:37PM -0700, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 2/1/2016 12:39 PM, Chen CH Ji wrote:
> >Hi
> >           We have been trying to enablement of our CI work for our nova
> >virt layer code ,so we need to configure the tempest cases based on our
> >nova driver capability
> >           I found that rebuild action is not listed in [1] (only talk
> >about rebuild in evacuate), but code [2] seems support virt layer
> >abstraction
> >           can someone point the rebuild action in [1] or it's missing
> >on purpose ? Thanks
> >
> >[1]http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/support-matrix.html
> >[2]https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/manager.py#L2920

> Only the Ironic driver overrides the rebuild method, otherwise the compute
> manager has a default impl, so it's technically implemented for all virt
> drivers. There is also confusion around rebuild vs evacuate since both
> operations go through the rebuild_instance method in the compute manager,
> they are just separated by the 'recreate' parameter.
>
> danpb might have reasons for not listing rebuild in the hypervisor support
> matrix - it might have just never been on the original wiki matrix. It'd be
> worth asking him.

The hypervisor matrix just copied the data from the original wiki. It is
certainly not a complete list of all features that are relevant. You could
make the matrix x10 bigger and it still wouldn't cover all interesting facts
across virt drivers. If anyone has things they want shown they should submit
patches....

> But at the same time, since there is a default implementation, I'm also not
> sure if it's worth listing separately in the support matrix (but is also
> confusing I suppose to not list it at all).

That there is a default impl is really just an impl detail - if it is an
interesting feature from the user POV it is worth listing IMHO

Regards,
Daniel