[openstack-dev] [nova][virt] rebuild action not in support-matrix

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Feb 2 00:04:37 UTC 2016

On 2/1/2016 12:39 PM, Chen CH Ji wrote:
> Hi
>            We have been trying to enablement of our CI work for our nova
> virt layer code ,so we need to configure the tempest cases based on our
> nova driver capability
>            I found that rebuild action is not listed in [1] (only talk
> about rebuild in evacuate), but code [2] seems support virt layer
> abstraction
>            can someone point the rebuild action in [1] or it's missing
> on purpose ? Thanks
>
> [1]http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/support-matrix.html
> [2]https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/manager.py#L2920

Only the Ironic driver overrides the rebuild method, otherwise the
compute manager has a default impl, so it's technically implemented for
all virt drivers. There is also confusion around rebuild vs evacuate
since both operations go through the rebuild_instance method in the
compute manager, they are just separated by the 'recreate' parameter.

danpb might have reasons for not listing rebuild in the hypervisor
support matrix - it might have just never been on the original wiki
matrix. It'd be worth asking him.

But at the same time, since there is a default implementation, I'm also
not sure if it's worth listing separately in the support matrix (but is
also confusing I suppose to not list it at all).

Matt Riedemann