[openstack-dev] New L3 networking solution....

Chris Marino chris at romana.io
Mon Feb 1 14:06:35 UTC 2016

Hello everyone, just wanted to let you know that today we opened up the
repos for the new open source networking project we’ve been working on.
It’s called Romana and the project site is romana.io.

Thought you would be interested because it enables multi-tenant networking
without a virtual network overlay and also because it uses the new Neutron
IPAM APIs.  The project is still not complete so if either of these areas
are of interest to you, we’d love to get some help. All the details are on
the project site <http://www.romana.io>.

The code is on Github at github.com/romana and you can see how it all works
in a demo we’ve set up that lets you install and run OpenStack on EC2
<http://romana.io/try_romana/openstack/>.

You can learn how Romana works on the project site, here
<http://romana.io/how/romana_basics/>. In summary, it extends the physical
network hierarchy of a L3 routed access design
<http://romana.io/how/background/#routed-access-datacenter> from spine and
leaf switches on to hosts, VMs and containers.

This enables a very simple and intuitive tenancy model: For every tenant
(and each of their network segments) there is an actual physical network
CIDR on each host, with all tenants sharing the host-specific address
prefix. The advantage of this is that route aggregation makes route
distribution unnecessary and collapses the number of iptables rules
required for segment isolation. In addition, traffic policies, such as
filter/security rules, can easily be applied to those tenant or segment
specific CIDRs across all hosts.

Any/all comments welcome.

Thanks
CM