[openstack-dev] [api] service type vs. project name for use in headers

Ken'ichi Ohmichi ken1ohmichi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 02:32:31 UTC 2016

>> I think we would be better served in selecting these things thinking
>> about the API consumers first.  We already have  enough for them to wade
>> through, the API-WG is making great gains in herding those particular
>> cats, I would hate to see giving back some of that here.
>>
>>     so, instead of using examples where we have header names like
>>     "OpenStack-Some-[SERVICE_TYPE]-Header", maybe we should suggest
>>     "OpenStack-Some-[SERVICE_TYPE or PROJECT_NAME]-Header" as our
>> guideline.
>>

>> I think the listed reviews have it right, only referencing service
>> type.  We have attempted to reduce the visible surface area of project
>> names in a LOT of areas, I do not think this is one that needs to be an
>> exception to that.
>

> +1, I prefer service type over project name. Among other benefits, it leaves
> room for multiple implementations without being totally baffling to
> consumers.

+1 from me.
We are working for microversions testing on Tempest side now, and the
testing framework can be useful for all projects which implement
microversions mechanism.
In our idea, each project will pass service_type to the testing
framework and Tempest will send a request with the microversion header
which contains the service_type.
If the guideline doesn't clarify service_type or project_name, the
implementation ways of Tempest are different between projects and
users/developers are confused when implementing new tests.
I am feeling the guideline is for avoiding this kind of situation.

As cdent said on previous mail, the api-wg guideline is just best
practice, not rule.
That seems just a recommendation, so it is nice to clarify it from our
experience.

Thanks
Ken Ohmichi