[openstack-dev] [nova] Consistency in versioned notification payloads

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Sat Dec 31 16:08:41 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2016-12-30 16:23:24 -0600:
> While reviewing patches today to add versioned notifications for CRUD
> operations on aggregates and flavors I've come across some inconsistency.
>
> The existing non-versioned notification for aggregate.delete just sends
> the aggregate id, but the versioned notification is sending the whole
> aggregate object in the payload:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/394512/9/doc/notification_samples/aggregate-delete-end.json
>
> But with the flavor-delete versioned notification, it's just sending the
> flavorid:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/398171/16/doc/notification_samples/flavor-delete.json
>
> So which should we be doing? Either way you can correlate the id on the
> resource in the notification back to the full record if needed, but
> should we be sending the full object in the versioned notification
> payload while we have it? I don't much care either way which we do as
> long as we're consistent.

When we originally wrote ceilometer's notification consumption code,
we ran into issues processing the data for delete notifications
that only included identifiers.  IIRC, the primary issue at the
time was with some of the CRUD operations in neutron, and we asked
them to add all known data about objects to all notifications so
the consumer could filter notifications based on those properties
(maybe the receive wants to only pay attention to certain tenants,
for example) and ensure it has the most current settings for an
object as it is being deleted (useful for ensuring that a billing
record includes the right flavor, for example).

Doug