[openstack-dev] Gnocchi sizing on production

Alex Krzos akrzos at redhat.com
Tue Dec 27 15:59:36 UTC 2016

Hi Sam,

I have also been testing Gnocchi and found high resource utilization
depending on the gnocchi configuration and archival-policy.  Since
hardware can vary and your ability to process metrics will be cpu
heavy and your ability to store metrics will be limited by your disk
io it will be highly dependent upon your hardware and worker counts.
Could you elaborate on the configuration and version you are using
along with the resource count you have metrics collected on?  The more
data points we can share with the community the better defaults and
scale/capacity guidelines we can provide.  Also if you could elboarate
on what aggregations you truely need, we can take that into account
for the default policies.

I can make the following recommendations of moving Gnocchi API (hosted
as a WSGI app in httpd) and Gnocchi metricd to separate hardware (if
you are not doing this already.)  This will prevent resource
contention between other OpenStack Services and the Telemetry
Services.

Alex Krzos | Performance Engineering
Red Hat
Desk: 919-754-4280