[openstack-dev] [nova][nova-docker] Time to retire nova-docker?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Dec 23 03:30:53 UTC 2016

On 12/22/2016 8:26 PM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> Hi All,
>     I know this comes up from time to time, but as the subject says, is it time
> to retire nova-docker.
>
> The nova-docker has lagged behind the last 6 months of nova development and no
> longer passes simple CI unit tests.  There are open patches to at least get the
> unit tests to pass[1] but if the current core team no longer has time (no
> offence intended) then perhaps we should just archive it.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Yours Tony.
> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova-docker+branch:master+topic:fixes_for_master

+1 for what it's worth.

People show up in the nova channel in IRC from time to time (maybe once
or twice per year) asking about the state of the driver and I send them
to the nova-docker IRC channel, but also explain it's not really maintained.

I know people are running it and hacking on it outside of the community
repo, which is fine, and if someone doing that wanted to stand up and
say they wanted to own the repo and be the core team I'd be fine with
that too, but so far no one has done that in the last few years. If
you're already maintaining it outside of the community I don't know why
you wouldn't just do that development in the open, and maybe get a free
bug fix at times from another contributor, but I suppose people have
their reasons (secret sauce and all that). So meh.

Matt Riedemann