[openstack-dev] [all] Adding CONTRIBUTING.rst files to projects

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Dec 22 17:25:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 12/22/2016 04:52 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com
> > <mailto:doug at doughellmann.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Excerpts from Ian Cordasco's message of 2016-12-22 06:46:29 -0600:
> >     >
> >     > There is some ambiguity right now with projects as to where to put
> >     > easy-to-find documentation (even if it is just a brief paragraph
> with
> >     > a link to longer-form documentation) into our repositories. Let's
> >     > focus on that discussion here. We can come up with a productive
> >     > conclusion and work with this contributor. While you've chosen (and
> >     > yes, you've chosen this) to have a negative assumption about this
> >     > contributor's efforts, I've chosen to believe they're looking to
> fill
> >     > a gap. Increasing the productivity of new contributors to
> OpenStack is
> >     > a positive improvement for our community. It may not fix a bug or
> add
> >     > a feature, but it helps ramp up the people who will do that.
> >
> >     I thought we started adding these contributing files specifically
> >     because of how they are rendered on github, as a way to try to
> prevent
> >     folks from submitting pull requests there and then having them
> rejected
> >     by the bot. It seemed more positive to give direction ahead of time
> than
> >     through a rejection message.
> >

> > +1 to this and Ian and Alex's sentiments.
> >
> > It'd be great to get people to click one more time (to a more specific
> > contributor guide), but let's face it, there has to be a lot of traffic
> > directly to github.com <http://github.com>. Let's make sure there's a
> > decent entry.
> >
> > Does anyone have a "perfect" CONTRIBUTING.rst (or does it need to be .md
> > for github, Ian?) for all projects? Is it similar to the nova 2012
> > version or is there a more modern take?
>

> I'm against *only* adding a CONTRIBUTING.rst file. Any such change,
> should remove the existing content so that we have no duplication. If we
> document in two or three places how to contribute, one will be out of sync.
>
> So, a well done patch would be welcome - but not just adding a file with
> wrong information and no integration into existing content,.

Sure, let's get accurate info, but the scenario I'm thinking of is this one:
https://help.github.com/articles/setting-guidelines-for-repository-contributors/

Where the link is automatically displayed.

Anne

> Andreas
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton,
>        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Read my blog: justwrite.click <https://justwriteclick.com>
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com