[openstack-dev] [all] Adding CONTRIBUTING.rst files to projects

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Dec 22 15:52:21 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
wrote:

> Excerpts from Ian Cordasco's message of 2016-12-22 06:46:29 -0600:
> >
> > There is some ambiguity right now with projects as to where to put
> > easy-to-find documentation (even if it is just a brief paragraph with
> > a link to longer-form documentation) into our repositories. Let's
> > focus on that discussion here. We can come up with a productive
> > conclusion and work with this contributor. While you've chosen (and
> > yes, you've chosen this) to have a negative assumption about this
> > contributor's efforts, I've chosen to believe they're looking to fill
> > a gap. Increasing the productivity of new contributors to OpenStack is
> > a positive improvement for our community. It may not fix a bug or add
> > a feature, but it helps ramp up the people who will do that.
>
> I thought we started adding these contributing files specifically
> because of how they are rendered on github, as a way to try to prevent
> folks from submitting pull requests there and then having them rejected
> by the bot. It seemed more positive to give direction ahead of time than
> through a rejection message.

+1 to this and Ian and Alex's sentiments.

It'd be great to get people to click one more time (to a more specific
contributor guide), but let's face it, there has to be a lot of traffic
directly to github.com. Let's make sure there's a decent entry.

Does anyone have a "perfect" CONTRIBUTING.rst (or does it need to be .md
for github, Ian?) for all projects? Is it similar to the nova 2012 version
or is there a more modern take?

Anne

> Doug

Read my blog: justwrite.click <https://justwriteclick.com>
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com