[openstack-dev] [all] Adding CONTRIBUTING.rst files to projects

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 12:46:29 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:20 PM, Zhenyu Zheng
<zhengzhenyulixi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed with Amrith, it might be useful and maybe also good for new
> contributors to learn how to have a commit to OpenStack. BUT over 130
> identical patches to 130 different projects from one company/person in one
> run? I don't think this is going to help OpenStack growing. We should not
> let this happen.
>
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Amrith Kumar <amrith at tesora.com> wrote:
>>
>> For those who would like to know exactly what this set of changes cost in
>> the CI, the answer is approximately 1050 jobs which consumed 190 compute
>> hours of CI time.
>>
>> -amrith

So, I want to reiterate why I started this thread:

I want a productive outcome of this contributor's efforts. -1'ing
everyone of their changes was not something I was looking for. Having
people pile on after those -1s is also not something that leads to a
productive outcome.

Yes, these mass produced changes are annoying. I get it. We're all a
little jaded, ostensibly because we've all seen the statistical
nonsense that people at our very own companies use for marketing or
whatever else. I understand it quite well.

All of that aside, I specifically asked that we not turn this thread into that.

There is some ambiguity right now with projects as to where to put
easy-to-find documentation (even if it is just a brief paragraph with
a link to longer-form documentation) into our repositories. Let's
focus on that discussion here. We can come up with a productive
conclusion and work with this contributor. While you've chosen (and
yes, you've chosen this) to have a negative assumption about this
contributor's efforts, I've chosen to believe they're looking to fill
a gap. Increasing the productivity of new contributors to OpenStack is
a positive improvement for our community. It may not fix a bug or add
a feature, but it helps ramp up the people who will do that.

So please, let's keep this productive. If you want to discuss ways of
ratelimiting patchset contributions or some other nonsense, please
start a new thread.

Cheers,
--
Ian Cordasco