[openstack-dev] [osc][openstackclient][zun] Collision on the keyword 'container'

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 21:34:05 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Hongbin Lu <hongbin.lu at huawei.com> wrote:
> In the long-term, I am going to propose to follow the style of AWS CLI, that
> is prefixing each command with a project name. For example:

We have been down this particular path multiple times, and this is not
how the OSC commands work.  Some plugins have already chosen to
'namespace' their commands, which I think is a bad idea, rather than
use specific descriptive names for their resources.  The vast majority
of plugins have managed to find specific descriptive names.

You should also please keep in mind that resources should be named
from the point of view of the OSC user, not an OpenStack developer.
The implementation of the service often has no meaning to CLI users so
you want to consider what they will be looking for first.

Honestly I think the word 'container' is already so overused, and has
at least two specific and distinct meanings in OpenStack to only add
confusion for yet another use at all.

dt

--

Dean Troyer