[openstack-dev] [neutron] Where will Neutron go in future?

Sridar Kandaswamy (skandasw) skandasw at cisco.com
Mon Dec 19 17:45:20 UTC 2016

Hi Zhi:

FWaaS has been seen more as an edge (on L3 ports) use case as opposed to SG which is on a VM port. Also, as u can see there are differences in the attributes on the Rule specification at the most basic level. At this point, we are working thru the implementation of FWaaS on L2 ports so that makes ur question more relevant. At least one school of thought that we have been working with is that the FWaaS API can be more open and continue to evolve to support for instance L4-L7 use cases amongst others, but the SG API will continue to stay a simpler model (some have also pointed the need for SG to be aligned with AWS).

This is still in evolution and we would welcome participation, if u can - pls do drop in to our weekly team meeting [1] and we can discuss further.

Thanks

Sridar
[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Firewall_as_a_Service_(FWaaS)_Team_Meeting