[openstack-dev] [Heat][TripleO] How to run mistral workflows via templates

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Fri Dec 16 12:17:07 UTC 2016

hi,

we're trying to address in TripleO a couple of use cases for which we'd
like to trigger a Mistral workflow from a Heat template.

One example where this would be useful is the creation of the Swift
rings, which need some data related to the Heat stack (like the list of
Swift nodes and their disks), so it can't be executed in advance, yet it
provides data which is needed to complete successfully the deployment of
the overcloud.

Currently we can create a workflow from Heat, but we can't trigger its
execution and also we can't block Heat on the result of the execution.

I was wondering if it would make sense to have a property for the
existing Workflow resource to let the user decide if the workflow should
*also* be triggered on CREATE/UPDATE? And if it would make sense to
block the Workflow resource until the execution result is returned in
that case?

Alternatively, would an ex-novo Execution resource make more sense?

Or are there different ideas, approaches to the problem?

--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA