[openstack-dev] [kolla][tc] Video Meetings - input requested

Michał Jastrzębski inc007 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 20:57:10 UTC 2016

Ok, let me reverse this discussion. We think hangouts are exclusive,
and irc is not? I've seen multiple times when people were waaay into
discussion, lines of text swarming the screen, somebody from outside
speaks up, entirely reasonable and on topic thing, but is ignored
because other actors in discussion were busy smashing keyboard to
defend their mind? This person was unwillingly excluded from
conversation and might feel bad enough to not speak up again. I've
seen this happened. It happened to me on more than one occasion. That
speak up thing might not be so easily ignored if actually spoken up in
hangouts.

My point is, every communication channel has it's way to exclude
people. Some people are intimidated to even speak up in public. Some
people don't have money to travel to design summit. Saying that "we
include everyone" is utopia. Best we can do is to try hard to be
inclusive.

I think having rules like "no ad hoc hangout meetings" will be
extremely hurtful to communities. I am strong believer that different
problems works better with different solutions, and that's true for
communication too. Sometimes hot brainstorm-style ad hoc discussion is
exactly what project need. Sometimes we need long, stretched
discussion on ML, where everyone can speak up their mind in length.

Kolla community have always put inclusiveness as one of it's main
values to uphold, that is reflected in our diversity in both core team
and general community stats.

I did some digging and I think I know which particular hangout
sprouted this whole discussion, so let me give you some context:

1. This hangout ended 2 week long ongoing disagreement that we
couldn't resolve on irc or spec. It took 1hr of us actually talking to
each other to finally come to conclusion.
2. Most of kolla-k8s active team was there discussing
3. Besides kolla-k8s team we also had kubernetes community members who
are much more used to this type of discussion (not irc, so some could
argue that *this* was inclusive way to work between two opensource
communities, finding common toolset to communicate).
4. Part of why we did it in such an unplanned manned (therefore some
people interested weren't present at the time) is that this k8s
community members happened to join us at that time and we wanted to
make most of it.
5. At the end it helped us greatly to move past problems that stalled
our development for weeks.

I will defend this thing as something what we needed at the time.
Sometimes heated up video discussion helps to resolve
misunderstandings which otherwise could grow up and become conflicts
in community, which would be much worse.

So please, let's not put artificial rules regarding our communication
just to be "inclusive". If there is a will to be inclusive, we can be
regardless of tool, if there is none, no tool will help. I will
advocate to allow whichever way community decides to work to that
community and focus on building culture of inclusiveness.

If we have correct mindset, that's all that matters and I, for one, am
strong believer that Kolla community has been built on top of this
mindset, and we keep doing good job on following it.

Regards,
Michal