[openstack-dev] [release][ptl][all] self-service branch management

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Dec 14 15:50:11 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2016-12-14 14:28:30 +0000:
> On 2016-12-14 08:51:29 -0500 (-0500), Ian Cordasco wrote:
> [...]
> > I do have one question, will creating the branch's end-of-life
> > eventually work the same way? For example, Glance's projects were
> > missed in the recent liberty end of life work. Could we submit a
> > review to do that work so Josh & Tony don't have to or is that
> > something that isn't planned to work through openstack/releases?
>
> The EOL process is still a little different because it relies on
> branch deletion, which is not an explicit permission we can delegate
> in the version of Gerrit we're running today. There's some
> indication that it will be possible in Gerrit 2.14 (not yet
> released) and we might even be able to backport that feature to 2.13
> (the version to which we're currently working on upgrading). So yes,
> there is an expectation we will safely automate EOL'ing but we don't
> have an exact timeline for it yet.

When we discussed it at the summit, the idea was to think about it
this cycle with the intent of implementing it for Pike. If we take
the approach we've used for the other automation, that would mean
scripting it out to run manually, then building something to take
inputs for the scripts from the YAML files in the releases repo
while still running the scripts manually, and then running all of
that automatically in the job. It sounds like that last part is
blocked for now, but we should be able to make some progress on the
rest of it.

Doug