[openstack-dev] Golang technical requirements

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Dec 14 10:25:51 UTC 2016

Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 12/13/2016 12:45 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:
>> Release Deliverables
>>
>> OpenStack still officially considers the tarballs generated during the
>> release rpocess to be our official deliverable.  Many downstream
>> consumers, however, bypass those and go directly to the tagged
>> releases in the Git repos.  The Golang community has no real culture
>> of using tarballs at all, given the 'go get' functionality bult in to
>> the tooling directly for checking out remote repos.  One obvious
>> shortcoming in just defining the release to be Git repo tags is our
>> use of generated files.
>
> Indeed. On the other hand - our use of git tags to drive our
> deliverables (and pbr's use of them instead of content in a file in the
> source repo) actually has us more closely aligned with this than other
> projects might be.

Yes, especially since we automated the tagging process (reducing the
risk of a random tag being accidentally pushed to a repository), git
tags *are* releases in openstack deliverables.

I don't think we need to stop producing and publishing source code
tarballs in the Go case, just because it's not the primary way people
consume the code. Publication of the source code is something we need to
do as part of the open source license we use, and some still consider
tarball publication to be a clearer form of "publication" than keeping a
git server up.

Beyond the source though, one question is whether we should build, sign
and distribute binary artifacts (compiled code), or if tagging a source
repo (and producing a source code tarball) is sufficient. And if we do
distribute binaries, would we only do that for some deliverables (like
the top ones that are supposed to be directly used by users) or for
everything ?

>> If you have an interest in seeing Golang support implemented for
>> OpenStack, please jump in here and help us nail down how to accomplish
>> that "right".

++

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)