[openstack-dev] [Requirements] [Horizon] upper-constraints shenanigans and development milestones

Richard Jones r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 22:47:04 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

We in Horizon land are looking to update to a new version of one of
our dependencies, Angular Bootstrap version 2.2.0. We do this through
xstatic packaging, so the release we'll be making is actually
xstatic-angular-bootstrap 2.2.0.0

This release is backward incompatible and breaks Horizon in many ways.
We already have a compatibility patch in review to get us up to speed
in Ocata, but prior versions of Horizon would break without
upper-constraints protections. We've recently pushed through several
changes to stable Mitaka to get those protections in place - Newton
was already protected.

The problem is that we'll have two Ocata milestone releases out when
2.2.0.0 is released, and those will break because we currently pull in
*master* upper-constraints for the milestone releases, rather than a
stable/ocata branch of upper-constraints - there is no stable/ocata
branch of upper-constraints yet.

Has the idea of branching at development milestones been raised previously?

    Richard