[openstack-dev] [ironic] unsupported drivers and their future

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Wed Dec 7 18:52:50 UTC 2016

HI all,

we (ironic community) some time ago decided [0] to require third-party CI
for any driver that is present in the main ironic code tree. I'd like to
discuss the state of currently unsupported drivers and how to proceed with
them.

Here is the current rundown, please correct me if I've got something wrong:

* AMT - already in ironic-staging-drivers repo, patch removing those from
ironic is on review [1]
* iBoot - already in ironic-staging-drivers repo, patch removing those from
ironic is on review [1]
* WakeOnLan - already in ironic-staging-drivers repo, patch removing those
from ironic is on review [1]
* IPMINative/Pyghmi - community driver, AFAIU community still considers
those as a viable alternative for the future and is constantly
re-evaluating maturity of pyghmi IPMI implementation, so these are to stay
for now
* SSH - community driver, still used on several ironic gate jobs and in
jobs of other projects under Baremetal program (like bifrost). Besides
AFAIK quite a number of people use it for development. So it is to stay in
the tree for some more time too, at least until all upstream gate jobs are
moved to ipmitool-based drivers.
* SNMP - people are working to enable testing it in CI, patches are
landing, stays in tree
* VirtualBox - community driver, for testing only, VirtualBox can be used
via SSH driver and I am not aware of any plans for (third-party) CI for it
(although it would in principle be possible even in upstream). Is anyone
actually using this driver?
* MSFTOCS - vendor driver, I am not aware of any plans for third-party CI
* SeaMicro - vendor driver, I am not aware of any plans for third-party CI

Based on that I propose to remove VirtualBox, MSFTOCS and SeaMicro drivers
from ironic right away. If anybody is interested in supporting them they
would have to extract those drivers (together with unit tests and docs) to
separate repos or propose them to ironic-staging-drivers minding the
warning [2].

[0]
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/specs/not-implemented/third-party-ci.html
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/397847