[openstack-dev] [all] Creating a new IRC meeting room ?
thierry at openstack.org
Wed Dec 7 13:29:03 UTC 2016
Dolph Mathews wrote:
> I think it honestly reflects our current breakdown of contributors &
> collaboration. The artificial scarcity model only helps a vocal minority
> with cross-project focus, and just results in odd meeting times for the
> majority of projects that don't hold primetime meeting slots.
> While I don't think we should do away with meetings rooms, if a project
> wants to hold meetings at a convenient time in their normal channel, I
> think that's fine. Meeting conflicts will always exist. Major conflicts
> will be resolved without the additional pressure of artificial scarcity.
I tend to agree with that. Like I said in my intro, we may be past the
point where the artificial scarcity model is hurting us more than it
So how about:
- we enable an #openstack-meeting-5 to instantly relieve scheduling pressure
- we allow teams to hold meetings in their project channel if they want
to (and show them all on the meeting agenda through the irc-meetings
repo) as long as the channel is logged
- we still generally recommend to use meeting rooms whenever possible,
so that you can benefit from outside presence and easy mentions/pings
- we will proactively add additional meeting rooms when the resource
becomes scarce again
- Once the change is in place, we could also limit official meeting room
usage to official projects (since non-official projects can hold a
meeting in their own room and still have it mentioned on the agenda)
- If we remove artificial scarcity, we could discontinue the
#openstack-meeting-cp channel (which was created to facilitate the
scheduling of cross-project temporary meetings) and just tell
cross-project initiatives to use the regular channels
Comments, thoughts ?
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
More information about the OpenStack-dev