[openstack-dev] [kolla] propose to remove COPY_ONCE feature

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sat Dec 3 10:05:55 UTC 2016

Paul,

This is a good question probably best sent to the operators list.  I’m not sure also if operators know the difference in Kolla’s implementation.  I don’t believe Kolla’s documentation explains it particularly well.

I never wanted COPY_ALWAYS in the code base, but I tolerated it as COPY_ONCE was still the default and COPY_ALWAYS has a use case that developers want.  The default was changed from COPY_ONCE to COPY_ALWAYS, and I again tolerated that since operators can always change the default.  I am not tolerant of removal without a significant dialogue with operators.  This would take some work on the Kolla core team’s part to make sure operators really understood the two models and had a good comprehension of what they would be giving away permanently if COPY_ONCE were deprecated.

Putting myself into an operator’s shoes, I believe COPY_ONCE is how I would deploy Kolla if I understood the differences between COPY_ONCE and COPY_ALWAYS.  As a developer of the original two models in Kolla I do understand in great detail the differences.  Some/many developers that work on Kolla don’t understand the difference (this I know for fact).  I’m not sure the delta here has been made clear to the operator or developer community.  It requires an in-depth explanation.

Currently Kolla deployments are at 1%, testing at 4%, and interested at 11% [1].  Given these facts, it is not clear to me that enough operators have enough experience with Kolla to have this conversation at this time.

Regards
-steve

[1] https://www.openstack.org/analytics