[openstack-dev] [oslo][monasca] Can we uncap python-kafka ?

Mehdi Abaakouk sileht at sileht.net
Thu Dec 1 06:57:37 UTC 2016

Le 2016-12-01 01:25, Tony Breeds a écrit :
> So right now I think the answer is still no we can't uncap it.  To the
> best of
> my knowledge monasca still suffers a substatial performance decrease
> and the
> switch from sync to async producers isn't desired for them.
>
> Joe wrote this all up in:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-June/098420.html
>
> Unfortunately this comes down to monasca and olso.messaging getting on
> the same
> page with python-kafka.  From a requirements POV we really only care
> about
> co-installability, which uncappiugn clearly breaks.

I'm aware of all of that, oslo.messaging patch for the new version is
ready since 8 months now. And we are still blocked... capping libraries,
whatever the reason, is very annoying and just freezes people work.

>From the API pov python-kafka haven't break anything, the API is still
here and documented (and deprecated). What monasca raises is performance
issue due to how their uses the library, and on absumption on how it works
internally. Blocking all projects for that looks not fair to me.

As nadya said, now, we have users that that prefers using an unmerged
patch and the new lib instead of using upstream supported
version with the old lib.
This is not an acceptable situation to me but that's just my thought.

Where is the solution to allow oslo.messaging works blocked since 8
month to continue ?

So, I'm waiting for monasca team input now and hope we can move forward.

Cheers,
--
Mehdi Abaakouk
mail: sileht at sileht.net