[openstack-dev] [Neutron][Nova] Neutron mid-cycle summary report

Martin Hickey martin.hickey at ie.ibm.com
Mon Aug 29 16:18:04 UTC 2016

Not a bother. Great to have the Neutrinos in Cork ! :-)

From:	"Armando M." <armamig at gmail.com>
            <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Cc:	Martin Hickey/Ireland/IBM at IBMIE
Date:	27/08/2016 01:14
Subject:	[Neutron][Nova] Neutron mid-cycle summary report

Hi Neutrinos,

For those of you who couldn't join in person, please find a few notes below
to capture some of the highlights of the event.

I would like to thank everyone one who helped me put this report together,
and everyone who helped make this mid-cycle a fruitful one.

I would also like to thank IBM, and the individual organizers who made
everything go smoothly. In particular Martin, who put up with our moody
requests: thanks Martin!!

Feel free to reach out/add if something is unclear, incorrect or
incomplete.

Cheers,
Armando

~~~~~~~

We touched on these topics (as initially proposed on
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-neutron-midcycle-workitems)

      Keystone v3 and project-id adoption:
            dasm and amotoki have been working to making the Neutron server
            process project-id correctly [1]. Looking at the spec [2], we
            are half way through having completed the DB migration, being
            Keystone v3 complaint, and having updated the client bindings
            [3].
                  [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357977/
                  [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/257362/
                  [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/keystone-v3
      Neutron-lib:
            HenryG, dougwig and kevinbenton worked out a plan to get
            the common_db_mixin into neutron-lib. Because of the risk of
            regression, this is being deferred until Ocata opens up.
            However, simpler changes like the he model_base move to lib was
            agreed on and merged.
            A plan to provide test support was discussed. The current
            strategy involves providing test base classes in lib (this
            reverses the stance conveyed in Austin). The usual steps
            involved require to making public the currently private
            classes, ensure the lib's copies are up-to-date with core
            neutron, and deprecate the ones located in Neutron.
            rtheis and armax worked on having networking-ovn test
            periodically against neutron-lib [1,2,3].
                  [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357086/
                  [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/359143/
                  [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357079/
            A tool (tools/migration_report.sh) helps project team determine
            the level of dependency they have with Neutron. It should be
            improved to report the exact offending imports.
            Right now neutron-lib 0.4.0 is released and available in
            global-requirements/upper-constraints.
      Objects and hitless upgrades:
            Ihar gave the team an overview and status update [1]
            There was a fruitful discussion that hopefully set the way
            forward for Ocata. The discussed plan was to start Ocata with
            the expectation that no new contract scripts are landing in
            Ocata, and to revisit the requirement later if for some reason
            we see any issue with applying the requirement in practice.
            Some work was done to deliver necessary objects for
            push-notifications. Patches up for review. Some review cycles
            were spent to work on landing patches moving model definitions
            under neutron/db/models
                  [1]
                  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-August/101838.html
      OSC transition:
            rtheis gave an update to the team on the state of the
            transition. Core resources commands are all available through
            OSC; QoS, Metering and *-aaS are still not converted.
            There is some confusion on how to tackle openstacksdk support.
            We discussed the future goal of python binding of Networking
            API. OSC uses OpenStack SDK for network commands and Neutron
            OSC plugin uses python bindings from python-neutronclient. A
            question is to which project developers who add new features
            implement, both, openstack SDK or python-neutronclient? There
            was no conclusion at the mid-cycle. It is not specific to
            neutron. Similar situation can happen for nova, cinder and
            other projects and we need to raise it to the community.
            Ocata is going to be the first release where the neutronclient
            CLI is officially deprecated. It may take us more than the
            usual two cycles to remove it altogether, but that's a signal
            to developer and users to seriously develop against OSC, and
            report bugs against OSC.
            Several pending contributions into osc-lib.
            An update is available on [1,2]
                  [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357844/
                  [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/osc-neutron-support
      Stability squash:
            armax was bug deputy for the week of the mid-cycle; nothing
            critical showed up in the gate, however pluggable ipam [1]
            switch merged, which might have some unexpected repercussions
            down the road.
            A number of bugs older than a year were made expirable [2].
            kevinbenton and armax devised a strategy and started working on
            [3] to ensure DB retriable errors are no longer handled at the
            API layer.
            The gate witnessed phantom resets that turned out to be related
            to [4].
            kevinbenton, jlibosva, armax, jschwarz talked about the Neutron
            job queue configuration; it would be desirable to start gating
            on rally, and fullstack jobs but this can be done once Ocata
            opens up. Testing L3 HA in the multinode configuration is
            something that needs tackling too. Ideally we'd move away from
            testing legacy routing in the gate to give resources to other
            priorities.
            jlibosva should follow up with patches to make
            fullstack/functional job "bullet proof";
            armax to make a case for check queue only voting status for
            functional/rally/fullstack jobs.
                  [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/181023/
                  [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+expirable-bugs
                  [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/356530/
                  [4] https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1616282
      Stadium wide efforts:
            There was a discussion around what our API definition is.
            Specifically, whether we consider supported queries part of it,
            and if so, if we plan to enforce this aspect in the future.
            Code inspection showed that it’s hard to determine query
            parameters supported by plugins right now. We will look into
            non-invasive ways to collect this data in Ocata. Armax to
            follow up on [1], which he is using to break ground.
            API reference clean up sprint has been announced and started.
            The guideline on the API reference was prepared [2]. Some
            lead-by-example patches have been posted and merged [3].
                  [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/353131/
                  [2]
                  https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/neutron-api-ref-sprint
                  [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/350857/
      Nova/Neutron integration
            armax, johnthetubaguy and carl_baldin participated in a couple
            of discussions about live migration and multiple port binding.
            There is a common understanding of the problem and how to
            improve the resiliency of the boot/live migration operation.
            Some thoughts are being captured on [1,2]. The plan is to
            ensure all the legwork is complete ahead of the summit so that
            the team can switch into execution mode during the Ocata
            timeframe.
            There are areas where Nova talks to Neutron that can be
            improved and the team identified/discussed a few, the periodic
            polls being an example. Providing the ability to aggregate more
            data in a single API was also contemplated.
            armax, johnthetubaguy, ihrachys talked about next steps in
            order to allow os-vif to access a versioned object of vif
            details as stored by Neutron.
            carl_baldwin was able to make some progress on [3] to abort
            build if Nova tries to schedule a vm to a segment where the IP
            is not usable.
                  [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/309416/
                  [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/353982/
                  [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/346278/
      Newton blueprints (in no particular order):
            push notifications: discussed future steps on how to implement
            compare and swap updates to reduce some of the races
            experienced when dealing with the Neutron API.
            service subnets:
                  Spent some time tying up some final loose ends on the
                  service subnets capability. Patch [1] was the final one
                  of the effort. Need to get the release note written and
                  merged it.
                        [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/350613
            routed networks:
                  mlavalle implemented a Generic Resource Pools client [1]
                  leveraged in [2].
                  carl_baldwin and kevinbenton had a very productive
                  discussion about how to add standard attributes to the
                  networksegments table to complete its transition to being
                  a first class API resource. kevinbenton was able to
                  provide an example and we're working to wrap that up now
                  [3].
                  carl_baldwin discussed the patch [4] to enable creating
                  and deleting segments with the ML2 plugin with
                  kevinbenton. This may be the last hurdle for routed
                  networks. Wrapping this up before feature freeze would be
                  of great help.
                        [1] https://github.com/
                        miguellavalle/python-placementclient/tree/adding-grp-support
                        [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/358658/
                        [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/293305
                        [4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/317358
            vlan-aware-vms:
                  jlibosva and armax talked about how to deal with failures
                  during OVS trunk setup. That resulted in jlibosva working
                  on on OVSDB transaction manager to handle nested
                  transaction.
                  armax and tidwellr are working on completing the trunk
                  state machine,
                  kevinbenton is rebasing/working on the linuxbridge driver
                  OVN driver coming along as well.
                  https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open
                  +topic:bp/vlan-aware-vms
      Resource status:
            Many Neutron resources have status/admin_state_up attributes,
            however their meaning is not consistent across. This makes
            difficult to address use cases like [1]. We should start
            painting a picture of what exactly each attribute mean for each
            resource in order to make sure we can approach to cases like
            [1] more informed.
                  [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/351675/