[openstack-dev] [Nova] Reconciling flavors and block device mappings

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Mon Aug 29 09:46:29 UTC 2016

Le 26/08/2016 12:33, Chris Dent a écrit :
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2016, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
>
>> Of course, long-term, we could try to see how to have composite
>> flavors for helping users to not create a whole handful of flavors
>> for quite the same user requests, but that would still be flavors (or
>> the name for saying a flavor composition).
>
> long-term flavors should be a piece of UI furniture that is present in a
> human-oriented-non-nova UI/API that provides raw information to the
> computers-talking-to-computers API that is provided by nova.
>
> But that's very long term.

Here, I didn't wanted to discuss on the long-term strategy about what
could be a "composite" flavor (even if I tend to agree with you on the
above) but rather explaining that "flavor" (aka. the concept for
user-provided piece of information self-defining the request
constraints) should be kept as the only source of truth.

TBH, I very much dislike the fact that we can at the API level set a
very different BDM size from the one the flavor gave (for the same
volume type). In CLI, that's even worst, we just consider "ephemeral"
and "swap" as being things totally unrelated to a flavor *facepalm*