[openstack-dev] A daily life of a dev in ${name_your_fav_project}

Gregory Haynes greg at greghaynes.net
Sat Aug 27 16:12:13 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016, at 11:03 AM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Hi folks (dev and more!),
>
> I was having a conversation with some folks at godaddy around our future
> plans for a developer lab (where we can have various setups of
> networking, compute, storage...) for 'exploring' purposes (testing out a
> new LBAAS for example or ...) and as well as for 'developer' purposes
> (aka, the 'I need to reproduce a bug or work on a feature that requires
> having a setup mimicking closer to what we have in staging or
> production').
>
> And it got me thinking about how other developers (and other companies)
> are doing this. Do various companies have shared labs that their
> developers get partitions of for (periods of) usage (for example for a
> volume vendor I would expect this) or if you are a networking company do
> you hand out miniature networks (with associated gear) as needed (or do
> you build out such labs via SDN and software only)?
>
> Then of course there are the people developing libraries (somewhat of my
> territory), part of that development can just be done locally and
> running of tox and such via that, but often times even that is not
> sufficient (for example pick oslo.messaging or oslo.db, altering this in
> ways that could pass unittests could still end up breaking its
> integration with other projects); so the gate helps here (but the gate
> really is a 'last barrier') so have folks that have been working on say
> zeromq or the newer amqp versions, what is the daily life of testing and
> exploring features and development for you?
>
> Are any of the environments that people may be getting build-out on
> demand (ie in a cloud-like manner)? For example I could see how it could
> be pretty nifty to request a environment be built out with say something
> like the following as a descriptor language:
>
> build_out:
>     nova:
>        git_url: git://git.openstack.org/openstack/nova
>        git_ref: ....
>     neutron:
>        git_url: <my personal git repo>
>        git_ref: my sha
>     topology:
>        use_standard_config: true
>        build_with_switch_type: XYZ...

I've been playing around with using diskimage-builder to build images
using an input which looks amazingly similar to the top half of this
[1].  I haven't quite taken the plunge to use this for my usual dev
environment but my hope has been to use this + the built in dib caching
+ docker/other container/qcow2 outputting to perform more realistic
tests of what I've been deving. The nifty bit is we've had tooling to
override the location of any repositories in order to be useful with
Zuul so it is trivial to support a set of input's like this and then
override them to refer to an on disk location (rather than git.o.o)[2].

> I hope this info is not just useful to myself (and maybe it's been
> talked about before, but nothing of recent that I can recall) and I'd be
> very much interested in hearing what other companies (big and small) are
> doing here (and also from folks that are not associated with any
> company, which I guess brings in the question of the OSIC lab).
>
> -Josh

Cheers,
Greg

[1]: