[openstack-dev] [all][massively distributed][architecture]Coordination between actions/WGs

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 09:47:14 UTC 2016

On 08/25/2016 06:38 PM, joehuang wrote:
> Hello, Ed,
>
> Just as Peter mentioned,  "BT's NFV use cases e.g. vCPE, vCDN, vEPC, vIMS, MEC, IoT, where we will have compute highly distributed around the network (from thousands to millions of sites) ".  vCPE is only one use case, but not all. And the hardware facility to run "vCDN, vEPC, vIMS, MEC" is not in set-box or single hardware, even in current non-cloud way, it includes lots of blades, rack servers, chasises, or racks.

Note that I have only questioned the use case of vCPE (and IoT) as
"cloud use cases". content deliver networks, evolved packet core, and IP
multimedia subsystem services are definitely cloud use cases, IMHO,
since they belong as VNFs managed in a shared datacenter infrastructure.

> A whitepaper was just created "Accelerating NFV Delivery with OpenStack" https://www.openstack.org/telecoms-and-nfv/

Nothing in the whitepaper above has anything to do with vCPE.

> So it's part of a cloud architecture,

No, it's not. vCPE is definitely not a "cloud architecture".

 > the challenge is how OpenStack to run "regardless of size" and in
"massively distributed" manner.

No, that is not OpenStack's challenge.

It is the Telco industry's challenge to create purpose-built Telco
software delivery mechanisms, just like it's the enterprise database and
middleware industry's challenge to create RDBMS systems to meet the
modern micro-service-the-world landscape in which we live.

Asking the OpenStack community to solve a very specific Telco
application delivery need is like asking the OpenStack community to
write a relational database system that works best on 10 million IoT
devices. It's just not in our list of problem domains to tackle.

Best,
-jay