[openstack-dev] [all][massively distributed][architecture] Coordination between actions/WGs

joehuang joehuang at huawei.com
Thu Aug 25 01:42:33 UTC 2016

> But v[E]CPE just isn't cloud to me. And trying to morph Nova or other
> OpenStack services that were designed to run as services in a datacenter
> just isn't something I feel the OpenStack community needs to be focusing
> on. Run Nova (or Kubernetes, or Mesos, or any other cloud management
> platform) in the datacenter. Run a custom software application on the
> set-top boxes that can communicate with datacenter cloud services. Let's
> please not commandeer one of them to fit a model it was never built for.

Funny point of view. Let's look at the mission of OpenStack:

"to produce the ubiquitous Open Source Cloud Computing platform that enables
building interoperable public and private clouds regardless of size, by being
simple to implement and massively scalable while serving the cloud users'
needs."

It mentioned that "regardless of size", and you also mentioned "cloud to me:
lots of hardware consolidation".

May we call an edge site which include 10 hardware as a cloud? If 10 is ok, how
about 5 or 3?

>From OpenStack mission, it should be able to run "regardless of size", but from
your definition, what's the hardware number is the thresshold for OpenStack, especially
Nova to run, and so that it could be called a cloud?

I proposed to introduce plugin mechnism in Nova/Cinder API layer, just like Neutron
what has been done, so that Nova/Cinder can also run in samll size scenario.

The plugin mechanism can also be used for Tricircle project. During the Tricircle
big-tent project application[1], TCs's worried that Nova API-Gateway/Cinder API-Gateway
will reimplement some Nova/Cinder API. If Nova/Cinder can provide the plugin mechnism
in its API layer like what Neutron did, then innovation can be introduce to reach the OpenStack
 mission "regardless of size".

Just as Jay implied(that's my imaging, forgive me if it's wrong :) ), one implementation
to fit all size is impossible.

[1] Tricircle big-tent project application https://review.openstack.org/#/c/338796/

Best Regards
Chaoyi Huang (joehuang)