[openstack-dev] [infra][neutron] IPv6 gate issue in OSIC cloud

Brian Haley brian.haley at hpe.com
Wed Aug 24 20:52:55 UTC 2016

Hi,

Starting sometime earlier in the week, gate jobs started failing that were
running in the OSIC cloud, due to a loss of connectivity to VMs running there
when Neutron L3 was configured.  I wanted to send some information out on what
we found in case other deployment tools trip over the same issue.

The problem was the VMs in OSIC are IPv6-only by default, so must be reachable
using a global IPv6 address.  At boot, everything was fine - IPv6 address and
default route were configured, but when IPv6 forwarding was enabled, poof!  The
problem is that the default behavior in Linux is to remove any IPv6 default
routes when forwarding is enabled, and that action caused connectivity loss to
systems outside the OSIC datacenter using IPv6.  Luckily there's a sysctl to
control this, and there is a patch out [1] that is working it's way through the
check queue now.

So if you're creating puppet, chef, etc, scripts and deploying in an IPv6-only
environment, you might need a few tweaks to not hit the same issue.

-Brian

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/359490/