[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra][StoryBoard] Gerrit-StoryBoard integration is live, and other updates

Zara Zaimeche zara.zaimeche at codethink.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 14:53:07 UTC 2016

Hi, all! A few exciting StoryBoard updates incoming.

1. StoryBoard is now integrated with Gerrit (thanks, zaro)!

This is the big one! And I am as happy as a clam.:)  To use this
incredible new power, in StoryBoard, find the task id to the left of the
task you're about to send a patch for. Then put:

Task: $task_id

into the commit message. When the patch is sent, this will update the
status of the relevant task in StoryBoard, and post a comment linking to
the gerrit change. Stories also have unique ids, found to the left of
each story in the list of stories, so if you include:

Story: $story_id

you can easily browse from gerrit to the related StoryBoard story. There
is an example of the syntax here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/355079/

If you'd like to try it out yourself but don't have any pressing patches
to send, you can make a story over at our test instance,
https://storyboard-dev.openstack.org , and then send a nonsense patch to
a project in review-dev (https://review-dev.openstack.org/), citing the
relevant task and/or story.

zaro has done the vast majority of the work on this, so thank you, zaro
(again)!!! And thanks to everyone in the infra team who helped with
reviews to config and switching things on. :)

2. Worklists and boards are more discoverable

Now logged-out users can easily find the lists of worklists and boards,
and users can filter them by title, or by tasks or stories they contain.
You'll find them on the main sidebar, just below the 'dashboard' option.
A worklist lets you order a custom todo list (eg: to convey priority),
or provide a handy filter of tasks/stories (eg: 'show all 'todo' tasks
in story foo). A board allows you to create several lists side-by-side,
so that you can track the movement of tasks. This means you can, say,
create a board with 'todo', 'review', and 'merged' lanes, filtered by
project, and the contents of these will update as people send patches to
gerrit. Here's an example:

https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/board/14

3. More usable developer docs
-----------------------------

Matthew Bodkin has updated our developer docs so that they can be used
to launch a StoryBoard instance. They should be functional now (we aim
for the stars). Thanks, Matthew! He's also helped with multiple misc ui
fixes recently, so thanks again.

On the horizon...
-----------------

There is a TC Ocata goal to remove incubated oslo code, which affects
two StoryBoard projects (the api and the python client). I've made a
story for it over here:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2000707 ; if other affected
projects are using StoryBoard, it makes sense to list tasks there so
they're easier to find. This is exactly the sort of cross-project work
that StoryBoard is designed for, so let's give it a workout! I could do
with some guidance or examples on removing and replacing the incubated
oslo code (especially for the python client, which uses the old
apiclient module). If people are interested in running scripts against
StoryBoard and doing more specific browses and filters on results, our
python client is the answer, so I'm interested in a) tidying it up and
b)finding out people's workflow and how they would expect to interact
with the python client from the commandline.

That's all for now (sorry this was so long!). The StoryBoard meeting is
at 15:00 UTC today (and every Wednesday) in #openstack-meeting. We are
also always available in #storyboard, for chatter (and occasionally
development). Happy task-tracking! :)

Best Wishes,

Zara