[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Easier way of trying TripleO

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 17:24:13 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-08-19 at 15:31 -0400, Dan Prince wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 16:40 -0500, James Slagle wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to propose an idea around a simplified and complimentary
> > version of
> > devtest that makes it easier for someone to get started and try
> > TripleO.
> >
> > The goal being to get people using TripleO as a way to experience
> > the
> > deployment of OpenStack, and not necessarily a way to get an
> > experience of a
> > useable OpenStack cloud itself.
> >
> > To that end, we could:
> >
> > 1) Provide an undercloud vm image so that you could effectively
> > skip
> > the entire
> >    seed setup.
>
> The question here for me is what are you proposing to use to create
> this image? Is it something that could live in tripleo-puppet-
> elements
> like we manage the overcloud package dependencies? Or is it more than
> this? I'd like to not have to build another alternate tool to help
> manage this.
>
> What if instead of an undercloud image we just created the undercloud
> locally out of containers? Similar to what I've recently proposed
> with
> the heat all-in-one installer here: https://dprince.github.io/tripleo
> -o
> nward-dark-owl.html we could leverage the containers composable
> service
> work for the overcloud in t-h-t and get containers support in the
> undercloud for free.
>
> If you still want to run an undercloud VM you could configure things
> that way locally, or provide an image with containers in it I guess
> too.
>
> I'm fine supporting an easier developer case for TripleO but I'd like
> to ultimately have less duplication across the maintenance of the
> Undercloud and Overcloud as part of our solutions for these things
> too.
>
> Dan

I had a good laugh when James pinged me about this on IRC this morning.

I must have sorted my openstack-dev folder incorrectly... for whatever
reason this message came to my attention on Friday evening so I decided
it worth a reply.

So a bit of mismatched context here... probably best to have a laugh and move along. :)

Dan