[openstack-dev] Let's drop the postgresql gate job

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 19 15:27:53 UTC 2016

On 8/19/2016 9:42 AM, Mike Bayer wrote:

> On 08/18/2016 11:00 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>> It's that time of year again to talk about killing this job, at least
>> from the integrated gate (move it to experimental for people that care
>> about postgresql, or make it gating on a smaller subset of projects like
>> oslo.db).
>

> Running a full tempest load for Postgresql for everything is not very
> critical.   I'm sure the software gets full-integration tested against
> PG at some point past the gate at least so regressions are reportable,
> so if that's all that's being dropped, I don't see any issue.
>
> That there is PG-specific code being proposed in Neutron [1].  The patch
> here is planned to be rolled largely into oslo.db, so most of it would
> be tested under oslo.db in any case, however Neutron would still have a
> specific issue that is addressed by this library code, so local unit
> testing of this issue would still be needed against both MySQL and
> Postgresql.

Sean reminded me yesterday that the DB migrations in the projects are
run through unit tests which are using both MySQL and PG, e.g.:

http://logs.openstack.org/38/356638/2/check/gate-nova-python27-db-ubuntu-xenial/801ca5f/console.html#_2016-08-18_00_44_47_146291

http://logs.openstack.org/38/356638/2/check/gate-nova-python27-db-ubuntu-xenial/801ca5f/console.html#_2016-08-18_00_44_34_175694

> There is also the subject area of routines that are somehow dependent on
> the transaction isolation behavior of the backend database, such as code
> that's attempting to see if something has changed in another
> transaction.   This is usually in PG's favor because Postgresql defaults
> to a lower isolation level than MySQL, but there are probably some weird
> edges to this particular subject area.   Again, these things should be
> tested in a local unit-test kind of context.
>
> For the specific goal of oslo.db running cross-project checks, I'd like
> that a lot, not necessarily for the Postgresql use case, but just to
> ensure that API changes in oslo.db don't break on any downstream
> projects.   I would think that for all of oslo, seeing that oslo is
> "horizontal" to openstack "verticals", that all oslo projects would
> somehow have cross-project testing of new patches against consuming
> projects.    I run a very small and focused type of this kind of testing
> on my own against downstream openstack for all proposed changes to
> SQLAlchemy, Alembic, and dogpile.cache.

Matt Riedemann