[openstack-dev] [release] Release countdown for week R-6, 22-26 Aug

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Aug 18 17:22:41 UTC 2016

Focus
-----

We're approaching feature freeze deadline so teams should be wrapping
up feature development as we approach the final milestone 29 Aug -
2 Sept.

General Notes
-------------

The upcoming third milestone marks the start of several freezes in
our release cycle to let us shift our focus to bug fixes and generally
hardening the release.

The general feature freeze allows teams to wrap up Newton and start
thinking about Ocata planning.

We freeze releases of all libraries and changes to requirements
between the third milestone and the final release to give downstream
packagers time to vet the libraries. Only emergency bug fix updates
are allowed during that period, not releases for FFEs.

We start a soft string freeze at the milestone to give translators
time to catch up with the work that has already been done this
cycle. A hard string freeze will follow two weeks later at R-3.

Release Actions
---------------

The last day for releases for non-client libraries will be 25 Aug.
File your release request in time to have the release done on the
25th.

Review the members of your $project-release group in gerrit, based
on the instructions Thierry sent on 15 Aug. You may not be able to
merge patches during the release candidate period if the group
membership is not set correctly.

Important Dates

Library release freeze date Aug 25.

Newton 3 milestone, Sept 1.