[openstack-dev] Let's drop the postgresql gate job

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Thu Aug 18 17:14:22 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 11:33:59AM -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
> On 08/18/2016 10:00 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> > It's that time of year again to talk about killing this job, at least
> > from the integrated gate (move it to experimental for people that care
> > about postgresql, or make it gating on a smaller subset of projects like
> > oslo.db).
> >
> > The postgresql job used to have three interesting things about it:
> >
> > 1. It ran keystone with eventlet (which is no longer a thing).
> > 2. It runs the n-api-meta service rather than using config drive.
> > 3. It uses postgresql for the database.
> >
> > So #1 is gone, and for #3, according to the April 2016 user survey (page
> > 40) [1], 4% of reporting deployments are using it in production.
> >
> > I don't think we're running n-api-meta in any other integrated gate
> > jobs, but I'm pretty sure there is at least one neutron job out there
> > that's running with it that way. We could also consider making the
> > nova-net dsvm full gate job run n-api-meta, or vice-versa with the
> > neutron dsvm full gate job.
> >
> > We also have to consider that with HP public cloud being gone as a node
> > provider and we've got fewer test nodes to run with, we have to make
> > tough decisions about which jobs we're going to run in the integrated gate.
> >
> > I'm bringing this up again because Nova has a few more jobs it would
> > like to make voting on it's repo (neutron LB and live migration, at
> > least in the check queue) but there are concerns about adding yet more
> > jobs that each change has to get through before it's merged, which means
> > if anything goes wrong in any of those we can have a 24 hour turnaround
> > on getting an approved change back through the gate.
> >
> > [1]
> > https://www.openstack.org/assets/survey/April-2016-User-Survey-Report.pdf
> >

> I don't know about nova, but at least in keystone when I was testing
> upgrades I found an error that had to be fixed before release of Mitaka.
>  Guess I'm part of the 4% :(

That's not what we're talking about here. Your issue most likely stemmed from
keystone's lack of tests that do DB migrations with real data. The proposal here
is not talking about stopping all testing on postgres, just removing the postgres
dsvm tempset jobs from the integrated gate. Those jobs have very limited
additional value for the reasons Matt outlined. They also clearly did not catch
your upgrade issue and most (if not all) of the other postgres issues are caught
with are more targeted testing of the db layer done in the project repos.

-Matt Treinish