[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-docs] [neutron] [api] [doc] API reference for neutron stadium projects (re: API status report)

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Aug 18 12:13:27 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 3:33 AM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 3:29 AM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> this mail focuses on neutron-specific topics. I dropped cinder and
> ironic
> >> tags.

> for

> with

> August/101112.html I

> now

> do
> jenkins/jobs/projects.yaml

> not

> the

> >> I followed the discussion in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/351407
> >> and my understanding of the conclusion is to add API reference source
> >> of neutron stadium projects
> >> to neutron-lib and publish them under
> >> http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/networking/ .
> >> I sounds reasonable to me.
> >>
> >> We can have a dedicated pages for each stadium project like
> networking-sfc
> >> like api-ref/networking/service-function-chaining.
> >> At now all APIs are placed under v2/ directory, but it is not good
> >> both from user and
> >> maintenance perspectives.
> >>

> >> So, the next thing we need to clarify is what names and directory
> >> structure are appropropriate
> >> from the documentation perspective.
> >> My proposal is to prepare a dedicated directory per networking project
> >> repository.
> >> The directory name should be a function name rather than a project
> >> name. For example,
> >> - neutron => ???
> >> - neutron-lbaas => load-balancer
> >> - neutron-vpnaas => vpn
> >> - neutron-fwaas => firewall
> >> - neutron-dynamic-routing => dynamic-routing
> >> - networking-sfc => service-function-chaining
> >> - networking-l2gw => layer2-gateway
> >> - (networking-bgpvpn) => bgp-vpn
> >>
> >> My remaining open questions are:
> >>
> >> - Is 'v2' directory needed?
> >>   All networking API provided by stadium projects are extensions to
> >> Networking v2 API and "v2" is the only API we have now.
> >

> > Is that accurate? LBaaS was version 1 something if I recall correctly.
>
> Neutron has two versions of LBaaS (v1 and v2) but both of them are
> implemented as Networking v2 API extension.

Ah, okay, right. Would developer.openstack.org/api-ref/networking/lbaas/v1
and developer.openstack.org/api-ref/networking/lbaas/v2 work?

> >>   Do we place all APIs from stadium projects under 'v2' directory, or
> >> is 'v2' directory unnecessary?
> >

> > I think that we want to remain similar across other API definitions, so
> that
> > it makes sense to have
> > http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/image/v2/index.html for example.
> >
> > What is happening now is the use of a v2-ext directory:
> > http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/networking/v2-ext/
> #fwaas-v2-0-current-fw-firewalls-firewall-policies-firewall-rules
>
> I think the docs publishing process does not support file deletion.
> I see several files remaining even though they have been removed.

It does not. You have to file a bug so someone with FTP access can manually
delete them until we get docs publishing with AFS. [1]

I once had the FTP creds for the site but have lost them, I'll have to get
them again from Infra. Or, Andreas, if you have a minute, can you do it?

> >> - what is a good name for main neutron API (provided by 'neutron' repo)?
> >

> > Armando is suggesting neutron-lib as the doc repo, and Networking API as
> the
> > name, right? Perhaps I misunderstand you. I don't envision changing that
> > simply because of movement of source files, do you?
>
> Yes. Your understanding is correct.
> We decided to use neutron-lib as the doc repo and Networking API as the
> name.
>
> What I am asking is about page naming under
> http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/networking/
> I am thinking dedicated pages per networking project,
> For example, http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/networking/
> service-function-chaining/
> (for networking-sfc)

Sure, that sounds good. Only addition would be the version number as
indicated above.

Thanks for filling in the details as we get more real info!
Anne

1. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/276482/

--
Anne Gentle