[openstack-dev] [ci-cd] Jenkinsfile support (or repo/s for them?)

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 23:06:22 UTC 2016

On 08/15/2016 03:47 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> <snip>
>

>>> I've been experimenting/investigating/playing around with the 'new'
>>> jenkins pipeline support (see https://jenkins.io/doc/pipeline/ for those
>>> who don't know what this is) and it got me thinking that there are
>>> probably X other people/groups/companies that are doing the same thing
>>> and that to me raises the question of 'why don't we work together'.
>>
>> Why not work together on the thing that people are working together on:
>> Zuul v3 :)
>
> Fair question,
>
> So in part, because most/some companies (afaik) aren't dropping there
> CI/CD solution that they've been working on for years (via say jenkins)
> for zuul v3; for better or worse that's the reality that I see things in.
>
> Getting people to adopt and/or replace things for zuul v3 (which doesn't
> yet exist?) at such a fundamental level (without such a system most
> companies CI/CD does not exist) may take years (if ever).
>
> So nothing against the zuul v3 folks (their effort is worthy IMHO) I
> just don't see a way to get there at the current time; thus being more
> pragmatic makes me want to contribute on something that has a little
> less risk and is a little more 'already known'.

Sure, understood :)

>>> Example of a ci-cd workflow for this (in visual form, for those who are
>>> visually tuned):
>>>
>>> https://jenkins.io/images/pipeline/realworld-pipeline-flow.png
>>>
>>> Is anyone else looking into how to build jenkinsfiles (or there
>>> equivalents) for the openstack project repos? Perhaps we can work on
>>> them together or perhaps even we can include those same jenkinsfiles in
>>> the project repos themselves (thus making it that much easier to point
>>> jenkins at the external repos and run them through tests, functional
>>> tests, integration tests and so-on).
>>
>> Honestly, I find Jenkins clunky, Java-centric, GUI-centric, and at this
>> point, mostly pointless for anyone who doesn't need a GUI for "building"
>> CI jobs.
>
> No disagreement, the jenkins pipeline and jenkinsfile effort (that seems
> to go back for a few years now?) seems to be going in a way that isn't
> GUI centric and ... (so ya progress!)

Indeed, groovy is miles better than shoving the world into an XML file
(JJB FTW!).

>> With nodepool and Zuul, there's simply no purpose to Jenkins any more
>> for me.
>
> Fair point, and no disagreement on that effort being good and all;
> though I can't quite say what companies that do use jenkins (the
> majority?) are supposed to do here. Running two systems that appear to
> be (starting to?) do the same things seems like a 'not' worthy effort
> (even though yes I know there are some fundamental differences in how
> they work and what they do).

Sure, I get your point. Disagree that it's not a worthy effort to want
to rid the world of impossible-to-reason-about CI configurations, but I
get your point.

>> Then again, I also think Slack is slow and pointless compared to IRC.
>> But, hey, emoji.
>
> Those emjois are the best!
>
> Overall though I don't disagree (I don't like being split over IRC and
> slack), but tis the world we (at least some of us) live in.

Yeah, I know... I live in it too.

/me goes to find a decent emoji to slack @cdent...

Best,
-jay