[openstack-dev] [ci-cd] Jenkinsfile support (or repo/s for them?)

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Aug 15 22:50:08 UTC 2016

On 08/15/2016 02:47 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:

>> With nodepool and Zuul, there's simply no purpose to Jenkins any more
>> for me.
>
> Fair point, and no disagreement on that effort being good and all;
> though I can't quite say what companies that do use jenkins (the
> majority?) are supposed to do here. Running two systems that appear to
> be (starting to?) do the same things seems like a 'not' worthy effort
> (even though yes I know there are some fundamental differences in how
> they work and what they do).

I don't have any person need for anything Jenkins pipeline or
Jenkinsfile related. Infra also has neither need nor desire.

However, neither I nor Infra have any need for chef cookbooks, yet
OpenStack hosts a bunch of lovely repositories that are worked on by a
set of lovely humans who do have a need for them and a desire to work on
them. You might even come to the conclusion that my personal preferences
or needs are not the most important thing. I mean, I obviously disagree
with that conclusion, but I could see how one might make it.

So while I do not anticipate participating in any way (other than
occasionally making snarky comments in IRC) - I'm 100% in support of
fostering collaboration - so if there are humans who would like to
collaborate on a collection of Jenkinsfiles that have groovy code in
them and they'd like to do that in the context of OpenStack - neat.

That said - I will echo a small smidge of what Jay said - it might also
be neat (and maybe this goes into the same repo/set of repos) to foster
a place where people can collaborate on Jenkins Job Builder snippets
too? We already host the development of that tool, which has a vibrant
developer community, and which I know a ton of folks out there use. I
have _no_idea_ the intersection/overlap between Jenkinsfile and jjb are
... but if there are humans out there who are doing things with
Jenkinses - maybe they want to do both things?

Monty