[openstack-dev] [ci-cd] Jenkinsfile support (or repo/s for them?)

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Mon Aug 15 17:19:57 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

I've been experimenting/investigating/playing around with the 'new'
jenkins pipeline support (see https://jenkins.io/doc/pipeline/ for those
who don't know what this is) and it got me thinking that there are
probably X other people/groups/companies that are doing the same thing
and that to me raises the question of 'why don't we work together'.

Example of a ci-cd workflow for this (in visual form, for those who are
visually tuned):

https://jenkins.io/images/pipeline/realworld-pipeline-flow.png

Is anyone else looking into how to build jenkinsfiles (or there
equivalents) for the openstack project repos? Perhaps we can work on
them together or perhaps even we can include those same jenkinsfiles in
the project repos themselves (thus making it that much easier to point
jenkins at the external repos and run them through tests, functional
tests, integration tests and so-on).

This kind of pipeline *slightly* competes with the zuul and job
templates and such in the infra repos (but maybe compete is not the best
wording, and perhaps complement is a better wording); but seeing how
certain companies (at least mine) use jenkins it would be very nice to
be able to collaborate on these (for the greater good).

Thoughts?

-Josh