[openstack-dev] [all][tc][ptl] establishing project-wide goals

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Fri Aug 12 23:04:42 UTC 2016

On 12 Aug 2016, at 13:31, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> [...]
>> process.
>>
>> But if a project is on the minority side of the resulting concensus,
>> how do we protect that project from being negatively affected? Even if
>> there are good reasons at the time for a project to not support a
>> goal, that dissent can come back against the project negatively, even
>> years down the road after those who dissented have left. I know this
>> from experience.
>>

>>> As far as not implementing a goal, if a team has a reason they feel a
>>> goal does not fit with their project, then they should document that in
>>> their response. That's part of the proposed process.

>>> No, that's not what you're doing at all. You're saying that the
>>> team, as a whole, will address the goal. That does not necessarily
>>> mean every team member will be involved in it, any more than they
>>> are all directly and intimately involved in every other task the
>>> team takes on over the course of a cycle. But it does mean that
>>> someone will sign up to do the work, and the team agrees to do
>>> reviews or over whatever other help is needed to see it through.
>>> And if a goal is completely outside the bounds of what the team can
>>> agree to, then you are agreeing to document that in a sufficient
>>> detail that the rest of the community, who asked for the goal, can
>>> understand why, and then you move on.
>>
>> Let's take the example of py35 support. First, remember that I
>> definitely support moving to py35.
>>
>> I've never once seen anyone stop using Swift or choose to not use Swift
>> because Swift doesn't support py35. While getting py35 support is
>> good, and it should be done, doing that does nothing to help increase
>> user adoption. On the other hand, I know many people who have chosen
>> not to use Swift (or not to use it yet) because of a missing feature
>> or a because of a bug or a lack of some optimization. These are the
>> things I have previously prioritized over py35 compatibility.
>>
>> In an open source project we can set priorities and hope, but we can
>> never promise a deliverable at a certain time with a certain feature
>> in it. Any person can say, "No. You don't pay me, and I don't have to
>> do what you think is most important." Our response to this as
>> community leaders must not be "there's the door" and chase people
>> away. Instead our response must be to reassess our own priorities.
>>
>> Of course, you hope to never get to the point where community members
>> are saying "no". That's why there's the feedback and sharing part
>> before setting goals. However, the phrasing from the TC in response to
>> concerns with this proposal seems to be "if you don't agree to and
>> implement the goals, then you just might not belong in OpenStack."
>> This troubles me.
>
> Please go re-read the history of this thread and the comments on
> the patch. This isn't about showing anyone the door or kicking
> projects out of the big tent. I'm not going to repeat all of the
> previous assurances about that here, yet again.

This is what I saw in the review:

Hongbin Lu: the word "acknowledgement" seems to suggest that
  individual project team are forced to accept everything, regardless of
  the their willingness.

Doug: You have interpreted the wording exactly correctly.

Hongbin Lu: Again, I wish there are more democracy. In particular, the
  process of defining and approving individual goal should reach
  consensus of all the project teams, not just the TC. I demand that
  because some goals might fit into the interests of majority but
  fundamentally violate the interests of one or two project teams. It is
  not fair to approve some goals that satisfies the majority by
  sacrificing the minority.

Doug: Making it a directly-democratic decision in which everyone gets
  an individual vote is impractical.

Hongbin Lu: However, with respect, I fundamentally disagree with this
  proposal, although I tried to suggest somethings to fix it. I think
  the main problem of this proposal is that individual team doesn't have
  a way to defend their interests when an adverse goal is imposed from
  external parties via TC.

Doug: I'm concerned that you think projects need to "defend their
  interests" from what is intended to be a community-wide goal.

Doug: There's an unhealthy obsession with "consequences" in this
  discussion. We expect everyone to do these things. We don't expect it
  to be a big issue...Refusing to meet goals over a period of time
  establishes a pattern that maybe a project doesn't really want to be
  part of the common community.

>> As open-source project leaders, we don't tell our community what to
>> do; we tell the broader ecosystem what our communities are doing.
>
> This is a complete mischaracterization of this initiative.
>
> The point of this process is to identify things that our community is
> asking us to do that we are not doing, and to encourage project teams to
> focus on those things. I have no doubt that teams are aware of what
> their current, immediate, users are looking for. But we also need to be
> aware of those things that affect all of openstack, and not just an
> individual team. We need to collaborate as a community, and not limit
> ourselves to the narrow vision of one product team.

Yes! Let's do the things users are asking us to work on, and encourage project
teams to work together on them!

And like you, I do not want to have one project dictate what all the other projects
should prioritize. (Or rather, a majority impose on a minority.) Since there is such
a large and diverse community inside of OpenStack, let's not try to dictate a
prioritization and due date.

The proposed plan has a lot of good in it, and I'm really happy to see the TC
working to bring common goals and vision to the entirety of the OpenStack
community. Drop the "project teams are expected to prioritize these goals above
all other work", and my concerns evaporate. I'd be happy to agree to that proposal.

--John