[openstack-dev] [all][infra] Binary Package Dependencies - not only for Python

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Aug 12 19:20:34 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 12 2016, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Projects are encouraged to create their own bindep files. Besides
> documenting what is required, it also gives a speedup in running tests
> since you install only what you need and not all packages that some
> other project might need and are installed  by default. Each test system
> comes with a basic installation and then we either add the repo defined
> package list or the large default list.

This is awesome, I never heard of this, so I'm glad you sent it.

I'd love to move telemetry projects to use this (we have a lot of
bindeps for our tests), and I've just one question (for now).

If bindep.txt is present, are the "standard" packages still installed?
If yes, this is going to be more challenging to get bindep.txt right, as
a missing entry will go unnoticed.

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker